parties - crafts - gift ideas - DIY - kids' projects - holiday fun

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Operation Nursery: Window Treatment and Pillows

I know that I am a bit late in posting these two projects...I think that is going to be a part of my "new life" as a parent! :o)
Here are two pillows that I made for the chair in Landry's room. For the larger pillow all I did was take an existing pillow I was no longer using and recovered it...basically made a new cover and sewed it right on over the old cover! As you can see I used the same fabrics that are on the the crib bumper. I decided to do all "rough" seams...meaning that the raw edge of the seams is on the outside...instead of the inside. I like the fact that it gives the pillow and chair a bit of a "rough and tumble feel"...something I am sure this room is going to experience a lot of!
With the smaller pillow I was able to pick up a pillow form at JoAnn's on sale...$4! Again, I used the fabric left over from his bedding. I cut-out the "L" and ironed on some thin, double-sided fusing, then ironed it onto the pillow cover. Since the fabric was left over from his bumper...the only thing I had to buy was one pillow form...two coordinating pillows...one monogram...$4...LOVE IT!!!!

This next project is one that I have had done for about a month now...I know, I know...I am a blog slacker...sorry! You are going to die when I tell you that the window treatment is made from foam board...yes, that's right...foam board! I had seen this idea on one of my favorite blogs, Design Dazzle...you can find the link on the sidebar. The idea was that instead of using wood to make a cornice box...use good old foam board. So, being a thrifty girl...and more importantly...no experience with a saw...and of course being too impatient to wait for help from my husband...I decided to go for the foam.
I bought two pieces of foam board from Michael's...on sale for a total of $7. Sorry...I forgot to take pictures while I was working...so you'll have to bare with me...is that the right form of "bare"...hmmmm? Anyway, I cut both boards in half. Now here's the best part...and when I say best...I really mean hoakiest part...I busted out the clear packing tape and taped together two of the half cut pieces. Oh ya, taped them together...I can feel Martha Stewart cringing now! Then I cut to small pieces to tape to both ends that formed the "L" bracket to attach the cornice to the wall bracket.
Once it was all taped together, I covered it in batting and fabric, securing it with my trusty old staple gun on the back side of the cornice box. Here is my very sophisticated, professional, high quality, window treatment!

Notice the lamp shade? That is a plain, white lamp shade from Target that I covered with some fabric and trimmed with grosgrain ribbon. Now, I just need to a picture of my little man to put on the table!

1 comment:

  1. I love what you did with the window, Kristin! I really don't like having plain windows either, so I try to install window treatments as much as I can. I change them almost every month because they're what makes my house more attractive. You did a great job on that one! I love polka dots and this is the first time I've seen blue and orange go so well together! :)

    Blake Bennett @ Window Pro

    ReplyDelete